Waiting for actuarial exam results: 7 things you MUST do

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by sonnyshook, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Am I the only one who suffers complete meltdown in the last 24 hours...Something to share with you all

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? Let's be honest, NO ONE wants to try, try again in any actuarial exam. Once is enough, thank you very much.

Whilst everyone else was spending Easter or Bank Holiday weekend vacationing, watching Mad Men DVD boxsets, visiting family & friends, going out, and beers & barbecues, you spent it buried in an ACTED binder in the company of alien-like hieroglyphic notation.

In the weeks leading up to the exam, you probably got really fat or really skinny. Your relationships and friendships certainly suffered, if not collapsed under the stress and time apart. And, well, at least you've got your fellow future actuaries to commiserate with....unless they pass and you fail, in which case, you always thought they were insufferable and boring.

Then, exam day came. Or rather, exam days. And the marathon began. But, when you crossed the finish line, you were probably too tired to celebrate.

So, when your doctor friends and the accountants, bankers, consultants, lawyers and the CFAs ask what the big deal is, don't be shy about relaying all the above AND to top it all off, you have to check your results on the internet, for all the world to see. Talk about merciless! No, dear friends, we don't have a username and password to get our results like some people. We find out if we passed by looking for our name on the WORLD wide web. Yes, that's right, for all the WORLD to see!

Now, before you crack from the stress of the wait, (and I know what it's like) here is how to cope with the wait for actuarial exam results. 7 things you absolutely MUST do in the 24 hours leading up to RH - Results Hour - probably the longest hour in the world.

1. You MUST get sleep. Easier said than done, I know, but at least try to get a good night's sleep. Do whatever you have to do to ensure that you're not wide awake at 3AM imagining the horror of failing when all of the others in your office pass. That's just masochistic. Get those thoughts out of your head and have sweet dreams. Drink some warm milk. Count sheep (Do NOT contemplate counting your expected marks from the exams or a Nelson Aalen estimate of the surviving sheep or even consider a random walk of the tonnage amount of grass they eat each subsequent day. Just count sheep!). And, don't take sleeping pills. The only thing worse than being an actuary is being an actuary addicted to sleeping pills.

2. You MUST avoid caffeine. Again, easier said than done, but your nerves are enough to keep you alert at this point. You don't need anything else coursing through your veins.

3. You MUST go to the gym. It can only help. Run. Lift weights. Box. Rock climb. There's a certain degree of enlightenment that comes from being drenched in your own sweat. It seems when you wipe your wet forehead with the back of your hand, you just know everything's going to be OK.

4. You MUST surround yourself with non-actuary, creative types. At the office, pretend you have a migraine from the stress and need peace and quiet. Have dinner with your best friend from University who is now a web designer and knows absolutely nothing about actuarial exams. Preferably, you should have dinner with your funniest non-actuary friend. Laugh as much as possible. AVOID qualified actuaries who will inevitably share stories of how they found out their results and how they celebrated and who in their office failed. AVOID other exam takers also waiting for results (talk about a feeding frenzy of nerves. NOT what you need).

5. Pray. Unless you are atheist like me

6. Don’t bother checking for results before 8pm BST its being tried. To view results use a powerful computer and reliable corded internet line (don’t take chances – you are vulnerable)

7. When you see your name, you MUST scream. Really loudly. Jump up and down. Cry tears of joy. Let it out!!! You passed. Go have a beer or a cocktail! And, by that I mean several. Tell the bartender you always had a crush on him/her. You have passed now!! No one expects you to have a conversational filter.

And, congratulations!

Now onto the next exams with renewed vigour.

p.s. In the UNLIKELY event that you don't pass remember the following:

-People who work hard and make the right decisions can be whoever they want to be in life (George W. Bush)
    - When life gives you lemons, cut them into wedges and put them in your cocktail. (Bar-tender)
    - This too shall pass. (author unknown)

Inspired and Adapted from Jennifer Fernicola Ronay “Coping with the wait for bar exam results: 7 things you MUST do”

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  2. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Did lol, five star article would read again.

3. sammo

sammo Member

butterflies!!!!

the april session was my first set of actuarial exams, i feel like i have never waited for exam results in my life and as much as this thread is meant to help, i've got insane butterflies from it and i'm not working, just studying-all my actuary friends are in university, they can't relate to what I am going, through....HEEEEELPPPPPPPPP I CANNOT AFFORD TO FAIL,

4. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Yes you can

Yes you can afford to.

Remember you are young, probably in your very early 20s. You don't have a family and many commitments. You can correct your mistakes - change and advance your study methods in the event of a fail. I know a couple of people who have failed their whole first set of exams and are now FIAs in the City of London. They just kept their head down and worked hard.

If study is all you do and you are OK in A' level maths then you will pass this time round - no doubt.

5. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

6. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

celebrate or drown sorrows

either way it is half a bottle of chivas regal tonight at the pub round the corner. actually i think i will start early and check the results on blackberry after 3 pegs have numbed me enough.

7. sammo

sammo Member

thanks

It makes a difference to get this from someone who knows what it's like, i'm 20 right now so you have a point, I got ct7 out of the way but slipped on ct1-I will correct my mistakes for september, thanks a lot

8. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Indifference and nervousness.

I can say this time I am more indifferent than nervous, given the imminence of the result (CT8 - the last CT for me). Maybe its becuase I have to wait for a bigger one....ST6 which comes out 3 days before Christmas. I still wonder though why CA1, ST and SA results come at such an inappropriate time. Don't you guys?

9. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Didn't you say that you were highly confident in passing CT8? I'll be nervous as usual when checking mine, i think it will be pretty tight..

10. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Waiting for results can never be fun no matter how you think you did. I was confident for the most part but I do not mark my exam paper. Right now I am indifferent and Thursday at 7pm I will be nervous.

Best wishes to you.

11. Lewin

Lewin Member

I have a lot on the line since i did 3 exams and my new employer seemed to admire the effort
    haven't been this anxious in a while.Have been hitting the gym and listening to my favourite Guns n Roses albums but nothing seems to be helping really.

12. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

while waiting for results....how far are you into studying are you for the April exams?

13. sammo

sammo Member

it is such a horrible wait!! i thought i'd handle it better this time round but it feels just as bad! i can't even eat properly

I am left with one CT4 chapter, and i just finished part 2 for CT6

how about you, where do you stand

14. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

Excruciating wait

tick tock tick tock .... dredges up images of Poe's 'Tell Tale Heart'

15. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I don't have study support and so I managed to get to the Q&A Part I (part I questions and solutions) on one of the subjects after going through all chapters....

Sammo, I like your quote on the "cost vs. benefit" approach...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  16. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

The tension...

17. romie

romie Member

The wait is just awful and this is my first time so I can only imagine it gets worse.
    I have been on the website all day just in case they're released early!:D

18. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

Cleared both I appeared for .... party time

19. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

With passing CT8 I've completed all the CTs. 8/9 first time passes. To imagine back then I failed CT3 and had to resit it.

20. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Well done Sonny,

I can't believe I passed CT5&6.

That CT5 Script I submitted was so ******* **** I feel like calling the institute and asking why they’re allowing such **** to pass.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  21. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

Well done Devon. I felt like God when I passed that pair.