Welcome

Discussion in 'Other countries' started by Simon James, May 8, 2008.

1. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hello and welcome to this new forum. We hope this will be a place for you to discuss being an actuarial student outside the UK with fellow students and to share similar problems and experiences.

2. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Thanks!

As my name indicates, I'm a student in Jamaica who works at an insurance company (not as an actuary :( )
    Anyone else from "other" countries?

3. Kolonel

Kolonel Member

Exams

How/where do you sit your exams then?

4. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

oh there's an 'exam centre' which is really an actuarial consultancy office. The kool thing about is that I'm usually the only one taking my exam. :)

5. Kolonel

Kolonel Member

That's good. No destractions.

6. Genesiss

Genesiss Member

From East africa

Hi
    I work for an insurance company in one fo the East African Capital cities.
    We do not have the advantages of UK students i.e. tutorials etc that enhance your chances of passing the exams. Most of the time you only get to disocver in the exam room that you were ill -prepared for it.:mad:
    Would appreciate some exam/study tips in this forum:)
    cheers

7. WHS

WHS Member

Hvae you ever considered attending a webinar? These are useful for exam tips and you can ask the tutor questions about topics that you have trouble with.

8. hi

Hi i am new to the forum and to writing exams as well. i work in Zimbabwe and we dont have the benefit of tutorials and webinars are kinda difficult cos our technology is a little behind. i jusat want to know how others deal with being in a black hole-aside from having notes- you have little else to aid you in passing the exams:(

9. hi

Hi i am new to the forum and to writing exams as well. i work in Zimbabwe and we dont have the benefit of tutorials and webinars are kinda difficult cos our technology is a little behind. i jusat want to know how others deal with being in a black hole-aside from having notes- you have little else to aid you in passing the exams:(

10. Copen

Copen Member

Hi madame_actuary, I can understand how you feel! I am working in Denmark and have taken my last 3 exams by just reading the notes. They have gone OK so far ... touch wood.

Before that I studied in the UK so have some understanding of how other study aids helped. The 3-day tutorials I attended were great - they not only helped with the course but it was also fun meeting others. But I am not such a fan of webinars so have not tried any of those.

I found smart revise useful for CT7 (which requires minimal computer power) and will probably order the revison booklets for CA1 as I have been told they are great to study from and include relevant exam questions.

Besides that I would only emphasise that to help you pass the exams there is no substitute for trying lots and lots of exam questions ... well, that's what I do anyway.

Good luck!

11. Shah Kamal

Shah Kamal Member

Hello!

I'm Kamal from Bangladesh. My IoA registration is being processed:confused: . Hope to start CT this September. I've graduated from Accounting & I know actuarial field will be tough for me. I'm now working in Citibank & my job is not that much related to actuarial works:( . I've a limited time to study. Not sure whether limited time devotion to study will take me to pass.

I'm particularly interested about reading materials that I have to follow thoroughly. I need a lot more advise from seniors:mad: .

Please share ur valuable thoughts so that my journey can reach to its destination:D .

Cheers!

12. Dwannis

Dwannis Member

New to the field

Hi all,

I'm in the U.S. and am thinking of becoming an actuary in order to best leverage my coursework in mathematics and statistics. Being a sports statistician was always kinda my dream growing up, but now that I think more about settling down, the actuary salary looks pretty nice! Anyway, nice to know there are others out there trying to find their way in this field as well...:rolleyes:

13. Owaiys

Owaiys Member

Hello All,
    Hope this post finds you well.
    I am seriously considering to start my actuary journey. I am ACCA(UK) affiliate and working as an assistant finance manager so complete stranger to actuarial field; not working in any actuarial organisation neither passed any exam. I came to know about actuarial sciences when I was left with 2 exams of ACCA and developed interest in actuarial sciences, since I was at the end of accountancy qualification so thought i must finish what I started. I got job almost 3 years back and currently employed on the basis of ACCA. I have been through many forums, websites and discussions how tough this field is, often failures knock you out but I have this strong feeling I must do it and have been through failures in ACCA and overcame those failures. The important point is I am 27 years old, and working as accounting and finance professional. So what should be my approach? Keep working as accounting professional and try to pass exam one by one and once I pass 3 4 exams then apply for actuarial firm/organisation?
    2nd question is I am confused which institute I shoud select SOA or IoFA?
    Look forward to hearing from seniors.