Working Required for MCQs?

Discussion in 'CB1' started by AmanK, Apr 9, 2024.

1. AmanK

AmanK Member

Hi,

I wanted to ask a question about the first 10 questions of the CB1 exam, which are all 2 mark MCQs.

Are we required to give any working for these? And if so, how much would be required?

Thank You,
    Aman

2. Lucy Powell Davies

Lucy Powell Davies ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Aman,

No working required, just an 'A', 'B', 'C' or 'D'. However, it could be helpful for you to jot down your reasoning, so that when you come to check your answers before submitting the exam paper, you are able to verify the calculations / logic behind each answer.

AmanK likes this.
  3. AmanK

AmanK Member

Hi Lucy,

Thanks so much for your response! That makes perfect sense.

I also wanted to ask a further question, with the past papers on the IFOA website, along with their mark scheme. For the 5 marker explanation qns, are the potential answers listed in the mark schemes, the only ones which would obtain marks. Or could you get marks for other reasonable answers too?

4. Lucy Powell Davies

Lucy Powell Davies ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Aman,

The markers will often have discretion to award *some* marks for reasonable answers that aren't listed on the mark scheme, such as where sensible examples can be given to back up a point. That being said, if you are not matching up with any of the ideas presented in the examiners' mark scheme then that suggests you have not appreciated the question posed, so aiming to match as closely as possible with the markers should be the goal of your CB1 preparation.

AmanK likes this.
  5. AmanK

AmanK Member

Hi Lucy,

That makes a lot of sense. Really appreciate you clearing this up for me!