Merton model B(T) and L

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Alfie, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Alfie

Alfie Keen member

Hi,

I am struggling with the difference between B(T) and L in the merton model - particularly knowing when the value they have given us in the question is L or if it is B(T). EG in april 2022 question 9, it gives "debt with current outstanding amount of 20m" so the solutions say L is 20 accumulated to time 7. so is B(t)=20m?
    part iv then goes on to ask for the implied value of the companies debt. So in both parts we are looking for the company's debt, i am struggling to differentiate between knowing when we are given L as the companys debt or given B(T) as the companys debt as B(T)=min(F(T),L) and so we would get different answers depending on which we use.

Thank you

2. msm

msm Keen member

As far as I understand, B(T) = L if the company has enough to pay the debtholders back.
    Debt at the current time is B(t) hence yes B(t)= 20m
    in the aprill 22 qn, they have mentioned "(where the total value of the company is the value of the equity plus the value of the debt)" which I would take as a big hint that they want the value from Total Assets=Debt+ Equity, and not get into what the debtholders would actually receive.
    If they had asked for the value of debt and not qualified it with anything, I would have answered that L the accumulated value of 20m, and B(T) = min(F(T),L) hence B(T)= whatever.
    I think mainly, I understand it as L is the ideally paid out debt ie nominal value owed, and B(T) is the debt they will actually be able to pay. B(T) allows for the risk of default, and L is the objective value.
    Hope that helps. Maybe I could understand the confusion better if you gave another example?

Alfie likes this.
  3. Alfie

Alfie Keen member

Hi,
    Ah thank you so much that's really cleared it up! Thanks for explaining that so clearly
    Good luck!

msm likes this.