How many months in a year?

Discussion in 'CT1' started by chfoong, Jun 10, 2008.

1. chfoong

chfoong Member

I have a very fundamental problem here, how many months is in a year should we use when sitting for exam? this is kinda confusing cos I am seeing different values in different books all the time, some are using 13 while some are using 12.

2. amaster

amaster Member

i think it would be 12, since there are only 12 months in a year...

probably if you posted an example of where the 13 is used, it may be like a n+1 case.

3. chfoong

chfoong Member

well,in the case of we have 7 days in a week, that means 28 days in a month, that works out we have 13 months in a year...so confusing...

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

There are 12 months in the year. They are called January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December. Once upon a time there were only 10 which might have made the maths simpler, but the romans kindly gave us July and August (named after Julius and Augustus Caesar) as part of a buy 10 get 2 free special offer. ;)

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think the problem arises because different calendars are used in different parts of the world. For example the Jewish calendar has 13 months of 28 days.

However, the exams for this country are based on the Gregorian calendar of 12 months a year (with between 28 and 31 days each). So please use 12 months in your answers to the FoA/IoA exams and our course notes.